Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How long is each of the programs at WSA? 
A: The Bilingual and Traditional Massage program at WSA is 660 hours and runs approximately eight months depending on time off due to holidays. The Esthetics program is 780 hours and takes approximately nine months. The Alternating Weekend Reflexology program is 207 hours and can be completed in 6-8 months.

Q: Do you have financial aid available? How much is tuition?
A: No state or federal financial aid is available. However, WSA does work with students to set up affordable payment plans if necessary. Every student has an individual financial plan. Worker Retraining funding and VA funding are available to those who qualify. Tuition for the Massage programs is $14,500.00 plus the cost of books and supplies. The Esthetics program is $12,500.00 plus the cost of books and supplies. The Reflexology program tuition is $4,250.00 plus the cost of supplies.  

Q: What days and times are classes?  
A: Our Massage program holds classes on: 

  • AM Schedule: Mon-Thur from 9am to 2pm
  • PM Schedule: Mon-Thur from 5:30pm to 10:30pm

Our Esthetics program class schedule is:

  • AM Schedule: Mon-Thur from 9am to 3:30pm 

Our Reflexology program class schedule is:

  • Weekend Program Schedule: Saturday and Sunday 9am to 3pm every other weekend.

Our Bilingual Massage program class schedule is:

  • Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 9am to 4pm

Q: Is Washington Spa Academy a board-approved school? Are WSA's programs certified with the State of Washington?
A: Yes. Washington Spa Academy - formerly Bellevue Massage School is state approved through the Department of Health, Board of Massage, Department of Licensing, and Board of Cosmetology and with the Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board.

Q: If I complete my education at WSA, am I licensed? Can I begin working right away?
A: No. Upon satisfactorily completing the massage programs at WSA you will receive a Certificate of Completion. You will apply for your license; pass the MBLEX licensing exam administered through the FSMTB. After passing the MBLEX exam and approval of your massage application from the Department of Health, Washington State will issue you a license to practice massage. Only then can you legally practice massage on the public for compensation. With the esthetics program you will also receive a Certificate of Completion. You will apply for your license; pass a practical and written exam. Upon approval of your application the Department of Licensing will issue you a license to practice esthetics. Lastly, with the Reflexology you will also receive a Certificate of Completion. You will apply to be licensed and will be required to pass a written exam. Upon approval of your application the Department of Health will issue you license to practice reflexology. We host employer panels and career fairs during your training so that you can network with the premier employers before you even graduate.

Q: If I go to school and get my license in Washington State then move out of state, can I practice where I move? A: No. You must obtain a license in that state. Additional schooling may or may not be required depending on where you move. We offer our graduates a lifetime of placement and assistance with relicensing. Let us know where you want to go and we will assist you! Of course this is not a guarantee, every State is unique. Our staff is very versed in the out-of-state application process and will be there to guide you.

Q: If I am licensed in another state and move into Washington State, can Washington Spa Academy help me obtain my license in Washington?
A: Yes. WSA offers a Transfer Student Program for that very situation. Contact us and we will walk you through the process.

Q: With all of the changes with healthcare in America, is Massage Therapy a good field to enter?
A: Yes. The Massage Therapy profession is very solid and actually enjoys a current situation where the demand for therapists exceeds the supply.

Q: Should I choose to become dual licensed in Massage and Esthetics or Reflexology? 
A: Yes. Becoming a dual licensed massage therapist will increase your marketability, broaden your scope of practice and increase your potential earnings. 

Q: I did not graduate from High School but I do have my GED. Can I attend massage school?
A: Yes. The state of Washington requires that an individual need be 17.5 years old with a GED or greater to be eligible to attend an approved massage licensing program.

Q: What kind of income can I expect? 
A: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median salary for a Washington licensed massage therapist is $66,040, which is among the highest annual salaries in the nation. The esthetics average is $62,960. To see more information about income in our state visit the career bridge website at

During your training we will review the business benchmarks of maximizing your potential earnings. 

Request More Info

From our Alumni

From our Alumni

The teachers at BMS are caring and knowledgeable, and the small class sizes mean a lot of 1-on-1 attention!

- Jeff, 2017 Graduate

The best school I have ever been to, and locally owned. Awesome teachers and staff, our group had a lot of fun! They helped me find me a job immediately with an awesome spa, and have answered any questions I had post graduation. If you are looking for a new career as a massage therapist I highly recommend Bellevue Massage School.

- Tyler, 2017 Graduate